Thursday, April 9, 2009

Southern Style

I worked as a nurse in Alabama for a year. In all my years of nursing, working with an abundance of doctors who's first language was not English, I had the most difficult time understanding the one's with a thick Southern drawl. Wesley feels my pain. Our neighbor is from Arkansas, and there have been many times when I have needed to "interpret" for him. But my favorite story happened at breakfast the other day. We were dining at IHOP, the premier pancake destination, and the waitress asked Wesley what he wanted to drink. He asked what his options were, and she listed the following: juice--apple juice or orange juice, Sprite, "mealk." Wesley immediately piped up and innocently asked, "What's mealk?" I told him that she was saying milk, and he settled on some OJ. I guess he is still learning to speak Southern.

No comments: