Sunday, January 11, 2009

Go Speed Racer, Go!

It is official: Wesley is OBSESSED with Speed Racer. Yes, I am talking about the cartoon from 1967, originally adapted from the Japanese anime Mach GoGoGo (hey, I did a little research...it's called Wikipedia, anyone heard of it?). It started innocently enough with a mild (ok, moderate) fascination with Disney's Cars. Then, he became increasingly interested in matchbox cars--very age-appropriate for a boy of five years. Then, right before Christmas, while watching a Christmas episode of My Friends Tigger and Pooh, Darby asked the audience what they wanted most for Christmas, and Wesley responded (out loud), "Speed Racer cars are what I would like most for Christmas." Upon hearing this, Catelynn insisted that she must get him those cars as her gift. And on Christmas day, the mania began. When family requested Wesley's Christmas list, I really don't recall mentioning Speed Racer, per se, just cars in general. Yet under the tree on Christmas morning, Wesley found four or five items to begin his Speed Racer collection. After watching the 2008 DVD version, he assumed the role of Speed Racer, insisting that we all call him Speed (or Speed Racer, also acceptable). Furthermore, Marc was dubbed Pops Racer, I became Trixie (wait, isn't she the girlfriend?), and Catelynn was affectionately assigned the role of Chim-Chim, the monkey. When Mimi, my mom, came to visit last week, she filled the spot of Mom Racer. Today, in Mimi's absence, Sharon became the new Mom Racer. It's like a TV show when they change the actor and never really explain or acknowledge why. Below is something I would like to call exhibit A...
This is just one in a series of nearly 20 (and counting) versions of the Mach 5/6. When we are not role-playing (which almost never happens), Wesley spends the rest of the day talking about Speed Racer, watching the 1967 cartoon that we downloaded, and racing his cars around the house, complete with engine noises, squealing tires and me singing the theme song, of course! Go Speed Racer, Go Speed Racer, Go Speed Racer, Go!

No comments: