Friday, January 25, 2008

Conversations overheard from here to there

While we are driving in the car, I am Wesley's captive audience for a constant stream of conversation. If you were a fly on the car seat, here is the exchange you would have heard on one particular adventure:

Wesley: Mommy, how do you drive a motorcycle? (as we pass a motorcycle on the road)
Me: Um, kind of like a bike. Only you don't use your feet. You drive with your hands.
W: When will I be able to drive a motorcycle?
Me: (the day after never...I'm an ICU nurse, are you kidding) Well, you have to be old enough to drive, so not until you are AT LEAST 16.
W: But I want to drive one before that. I want to drive in a motorcycle with a pocket [sidecar].
Me: Well, who's going to drive the motorcycle while you are in the pocket?
W: Daddy. (good choice!) Or maybe you could. (ooo...I'm going to pass.)
Me: But where will we put Catelynn?
W: She can be in the pocket by my feet
Me: (laughing) That sounds like a stinky seat. Your feet are stinky.
W: Mommy, these brown shoes aren't stinky, so I will just always wear these when I'm in the pocket. (such a little problem solver!) So, when can we buy a motorcycle?

on a previous rant:
Wesley: Mommy, when are we EVER going to drive a minivan?
Me: Wesley, I really don't want to drive a minivan. I like my Jeep.
W: Maybe we could trade Daddy's car, and he can drive the minivan. (again, great problem solving!)
Me: I don't think Daddy will like that idea. He wants to keep his car, too. Why do you want to drive a minivan?
W: I want there to be a seat for everyone in our family.
Me: Well, we are only missing Daddy, and he would sit up here by me.
W: But what about the seat by Cate?
Me: See?! We have too many seats already!
W: But, Mommy, I really want to have an automatic door. (ah, the heart of the matter. Wesley's good friend Christopher and his family just got a minivan--with automatic doors. So cool. He is filled with envy!)
Me: Wesley, I open your door automatically all the time. :)
W: But I want there to be a button, and I can do it myself.
Me: Buddy, I'm afraid it just isn't going to happen.
W: (dejectedly) Okay. Well, when are we going to ride in Christopher's minivan again?

Conclusion: If Wesley had the choice in the matter, I would drive a motorcycle with two kids in a sidecar or a minivan with room for seven! Think I'll stick with the Liberty!

No comments: